Sunday 12 February 2012

Snow Much Fun!

The kids were thrilled that we got about 2 inches of snow last weekend!  Can you tell we lived in South Carolina the past two years?  Dylan just could not wait to get out in it.  As it was falling Saturday evening, he rode his scooter around and made tracks in the snow. 


When we woke up Sunday morning, the light blanket of snow was so enticing to them.  Amelia did not feel well Saturday evening, but she seemed fine Sunday morning.  I bundled up both of the kids, and they went out to play in the snow with Daddy.  It was such a delight to see the joy in their eyes playing in the snow.  The best part was, I did not have to go out in the cold.  I just watched from the windows as I took videos and pictures.  It was a very wet snow.  They enjoyed making a snowman on our back patio. 

Then, they had a little snowball fight with Daddy.  They eventually threw snowballs at me in the window.  Of course I pretended it hurt when it hit the window.  It is amazing how Amelia complains of the cold just walking across a parking lot into a store, but she was fine playing in the snow for over an hour.  I think Eric had fun too!  And I KNOW Dylan had a blast!

Unfortunately, Amelia's fever returned Sunday evening.  Then I felt like a bad mom for having sent her to play out in the snow that morning.  I was hoping it was just a little cold or minor virus.  She woke up late Sunday night coughing and saying she was itching all over.  When I took off her p.j.'s, she was covered in a rash on her arms and legs.  Here is what it looked like.


There is nothing worse than having a sick child, especially when you do not know exactly what to do to comfort them.  Of course this brought me to tears, which is pretty easy to do these days.  After washing her off, applying hydrocortisone cream and giving her Benadryl, she was able to settle down and get back to sleep about an hour later.  The rash was gone Monday morning.  I learned (thanks to my uncle, Dr. Reed) that hives like this can come from a virus.  Thankfully the rash did not return, but this poor kiddo fought her fever for 5 more days.  I took her to the G.P. (because you don't see a pediatrician here unless you have a major medical issue), and the doctor said it looked like it was just a virus.  She gave me a prescription in case it wasn't better in 48 hours, which it wasn't, so we filled it.  Finally, one week later, she is fever free.  The one nice thing about free health care is there was no copay for the doctor's visit or the prescription.

See, I thought she was feeling better this day, but nope...the fever returned!
Aunt Michelle & Uncle Ron...I love my outfit and boots from you!!!

So I was pretty much stuck at home with a sick little one all week.  Every time I thought she was feeling better, her fever would return.  I did get to enjoy a nap each afternoon as she rested on the "sick" couch.  I was just praying that no one else in our house would get the virus.  Well, Dylan ended up starting a fever on Friday.  I had to pick him up from school that morning.  His fever only lasted about 24 hours. It was fierce, and he was quite uncomfortable, but thankfully it didn't last long. 

We got a little more snow overnight on Thursday.  Amelia and I made a quick 5-minute "baby snowman" after dropping off Dylan at school.  It was not that I couldn't last in the cold longer.  It was the squatting down to make the snowman that was hard for me. :)


Dylan enjoys playing with his cars every day!  He likes to line them up for races.  Here he is before school one morning with one of his favorite cars, Max Schnell.

I am 36 weeks along now.  I feel good for the most part, but more wiped out than ever.  The baby's room is ready (other than I want to make new curtains), and the baby's bags are packed for the hospital.  My bags are partially packed.  See, I have to bring everything...clothes to give birth in, towels, washcloths, sanitary napkins, nappies (diapers), blankets, drinks, snacks, etc.  I am almost prepared.  The car seat is in the car between Dylan and Amelia.  They are thrilled to be able to sit by the baby!  

My appointment with a midwife this week was interesting.  She opened to a blank page in my "notes" (file), and said, "Ok, what is your birth plan?"  Ummm...was she talking about medication, breathing, who is cutting the cord?  She walked me through what most women here do during labor.  We talked about everything from a TENS machine (which gives electronic pulses on your lower back to reduce pain) to using water to be more comfortable.  I told her I just hope to make it there and not have this baby at home since Amelia was so fast!  She told me what to do if it happens too fast and we can't drive anywhere.  Eric was a bit freaked out to hear how to deliver a baby at home, but we will pray that won't need to happen.  Midwives do not check for dilation or effacement until you are past your due date, so I will have to be in tune with my body and be ready to go at any time.  I go back again at 38 weeks.  

Both kids are off school this coming week.  It is half term here.  Their school calendar includes many more breaks than what we are used to.  That must be why they attend school from September 1st through July 20th.  I am hoping it warms up here so we can get out of the house a little.  I am looking forward to just having fun with Dylan and Amelia this week.  It will be nice to spend this time together before the baby arrives.

Hugs and love to all of our family and friends!  Happy Valentine's Day! xxxxxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment