Monday 12 March 2012

Welcome home Cora!

Having a baby changes your life, it's true.  But from the moment she arrived, Cora Madeline just fit right in with our family.  In less than 24 hours, I went from sitting on the couch, pregnant and uncomfortable to sitting on the couch with my new baby girl in my arms.  She was born at 6:05am, and we were home by 11:00am.  It just did not seem real.  I was on cloud nine, and I did not even get a nap in our first day home after staying awake most of the night in labor.  Luckily, Eric slept a few hours...I'm sure the labor and delivery wore him out. 

Her first hours at home and only about 6 hours old

Dylan and Amelia were great with Cora right away.  They held her, sat next to her and Dylan even read her a story.  It was so sweet.  The funny thing was, both of them had to keep asking, "What is the baby's name?"  We had not told them what names we chose for a boy and girl ahead of time, so this was the first day they heard the name Cora.  By the end of the weekend, they had it down.

Amelia is my little mommy. She's a great help and very gentle with Cora.


Dylan loves reading to Cora.


Proud Big Sister and big Brother

Eric and I are both enjoying the newborn stage so very much.  We just keep raving at how tiny and cute Cora is.  She makes Dylan and Amelia look huge!  We know how quickly she will grow, so we are taking in every little squeak and funny face at this age.  We keep saying that Cora looks SO much like Dylan's newborn pictures.  I'll have to post some comparison pictures in the near future. 

Cuddling with Mommy

Getting some love from Daddy

Many people asked about the care Cora and I received after her birth.  Yes, we did come home quickly, but that was my decision.  I could have stayed up to 24 hours at the birthing centre.  Knowing the midwives were a phone call away and a quick 5 minute drive, I felt comfortable heading home to my couch, my bed and my shower.  A midwife made a visit to our house the day after she was born.  She checked temperature, blood pressure and pulse on me.  She also followed up on my recovery and gave support with feeding Cora.  The midwife did a full check on Cora as well.  Of course, everything was written in my medical notes.  Cora received a "red book" that includes all of her birth information.  It has sections for immunizations and growth charts.  Any time you visit a midwife, doctor, or health vistor here, you bring the red book.  It's actually quite handy and keeps everything in one place.

We were visited at home by another midwife on day 3.  She brought a portable scale to weigh Cora.  As most babies do, Cora lost some weight.  She was 6lbs. 12oz. at birth, and on day 3, she was down to 6lbs. 6oz.  Everything else checked out fine with both Cora and me.  On day 5, we went in to the birthing centre for a check.  Cora still weighed 6lbs. 6oz. so the midwife suggested I feed her more often and for a longer time.  We returned on day 7, and this time Cora gained!  She was almost 6lbs. 8oz.  What a relief!  I knew she was feeding well, and she was certainly producing a LOT of wet and dirty diapers, but it was good to see the increase on the scale.

Although it is different than visiting one pediatrician, having various midwives do the postnatal checks went well.  They were all very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.  Even though I did not meet with all of the midwives at the birthing centre, most of them heard about me.  I was known as the American Mum (how fitting!)  The midwife who delivered Cora said I was like a firecracker.  She said she just caught the baby.  Overall, I felt the prenatal and postnatal care given here was very good.  
   
What a sweet little face!

Cozy, tiny, and just perfect!

Amelia loves to rub Cora's cheek.  And look at Cora swimming in her newborn outfit!

Time for a diaper change

Week one went well.  Cora does not really have her days and nights straight yet, but she basically feeds and goes back to sleep so I cannot complain.  Now we are excited for the arrival of Gigi and Grandpa Hefley!

No comments:

Post a Comment