Sunday 27 May 2012

A Quick Drive Through Paris

After spending most of our day at the Eiffel Tower, we decided to see the rest of Paris in the comfort of our car.  We plugged our Disney hotel into the GPS, and it took us right through the heart of Paris.  Driving in Paris is absolutely insane!  Apparently you can drive wherever you want.  Don't worry about the lines on the ground...you can make your own lane.  Even Eric was nervous, which does not happen often with him behind the wheel.  Cars were coming from the very right lane and crossing over 4 lanes of traffic to make a left turn.  The streets were jam-packed.  And to make matters worse, motorcycles came flying BETWEEN the cars.  I thought for sure we were going to get hit, or at least the mirrors.  Luckily, we made it out of there in one piece.  Here are some photos from our journey out of the city.  I did not know what half of the monuments and buildings were, but they looked interesting, so I took photos of them.  Thanks to my friend, Ashley, I now know what I was taking photos of from the passenger seat...

The glass top building is the Grand Palace (Grand Palais) and the bridge in the foreground is Ponte Alexander III, which is an arch bridge that spans the Seine and is the most ornate bridge in Paris.


Ponte Alexander III Bridge Sculpture

Luxar Obelisk in Place de la Concorde (the largest square in Paris)


The side of Louvre Museum

Everyone sort of merging into 3 lanes

Oh sure, come on over and make a left turn.



Graffiti :(

Ile St.Louis

We were amazed at how many of these stands were open selling used books.  You can see a few open ones on the left and closed ones on the right.

21 km to Disneyland!

2 comments:

  1. Jim and I spent three days in Paris sightseeing in March and I can't believe you DROVE - what an adventure! Ok, so I'll just tell you what the first few pictures were, if you haven't figured it out yet - I think this is the first time I could tell "Miss Angie" something! ha! :) Picture: 1) the glass top building is the Grand Palace and the bridge in the foreground is the Ponte Alexandre III 2) Ponte Alexandre III bridge sculpture 3) Luxor Obelisk in Place de la Concorde (the largest square in Paris) 4) side of the Louvre Museum.
    I hope that helps you a little about what you were looking at - great famous places to shoot pics of!
    It was so fun to look through all of your pictures and to see all the fun you guys had in Disneyland! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley...thanks! I did look some of them up online, but when it got down to it, I just posted the pictures. :) I may as well add the captions to let others know. I appreciate your help! You are so funny. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. I enjoy keeping up with your adventures too. Take care, and tell Margo hello!

    ReplyDelete