Monday 9 January 2012

First Weekend Getaway...Parks & Shopping!

We all look forward to the weekends.  Time to relax, maybe do a little shopping, watch some TV or go out on the town.  Eric and I are anxious to explore and do some sight-seeing, but with the kids still adjusting, we just played it by ear. 

We went to downtown Chippenham to add my name to our bank account.  They use a chip and pin card system over here, and it is very rare to have a swipe card.  Eric got me some cash last week, but we all know 50 pounds won't last me long as I grab things for the new house and the kids.  Eric was amazing with carrying both kids through the streets!  I waddled along behind them.
 

After waiting in line at the bank and spending about 20 minutes filling out paperwork, the teller was sorry to inform us that I could not be added to the account.  She needed proof of my residence here...a piece of mail with my name on it.  Sorry lady, I just moved here, and nothing is in my name.  It felt like we were in there forever, and I was out of distractions for the kids.  We were both frustrated, and none of the workers seemed to know how to help us.  Eric finally asked to have his account closed.  The lady looked at the clock and said, "I'm sorry sir.  We just closed."  Seriously?????  This was after they put a lock on his account for a week after he changed his password online!  Things are different here!

We had a similar run around at the doctor's office.  The UK has free national healthcare (NHS: National Healthcare System).  They would not allow me to get registered with a doctor until I arrived here.  O.K. so at 30 weeks pregnant, I am starting at scratch looking for a doctor.  You cannot get a NHS number until you choose a G.P.  So we went to the nearest "surgery" (doctor's office) on Tuesday and filled out paperwork for all four of us to register with a G.P.  They got me an appointment on Friday with a G.P.  She basically asked how I was feeling, sent me back to the front desk and led me to the birthing center across the street.  They use midwives here for most pregnancies.  If you are a high risk patient, you may be referred to an obstetrician.  After another hour of waiting and paperwork, they made me an appointment for this coming Wednesday with a midwife.  And THEY made the appointment.  They told me when it would take place, day and time.  No choice for me.  Lovely.  Or shall I say, "brilliant", as they all say here.

But Saturday turned out to be great!  We stopped in Starbucks for some muffins and smoothies.

Then, Eric showed us a park in Chippenham, less than 10 minutes from our house.  The kids' eyes lit up when they saw the playground!  After being couped up most of the week with yucky weather, they were thrilled to enjoy the sunshine at such a fun place. 



After the park, we drove to Bristol, which took about 25 minutes.  The kids slept, of course.  We spent quite a while in IKEA looking for storage cabinets and things for the house.  We ate dinner at their restaurant.  The kids had Swedish meatballs, and they actually ate them.  (Well, ketchup makes everything taste better.)  I am so proud of them for trying so many new things this week!

On Sunday, we drove to Bath, which is about 20 minutes away.  We explored another park, which the kids loved, and the sun was shining!

Amelia called these "old-fashioned" swings

Lots of fun running around with Daddy

This is Lacock Abbey, where part of Harry Potter was filmed.  The park was across the street.

A closer view of Lacock Abbey

Then, Eric dropped me off in the shopping area of Bath to get some school trousers and shirts for Dylan.  It was a busy area full of very interesting people.  Almost everyone here wears boots or wellies of some sort.  

Shopping in Bath
Bath Abbey

We had American style pizza in Bath for dinner at Pizza Express.  I was wiped out after our fun-filled weekend!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment