Friday 13 January 2012

Meeting the Midwife

I cannot tell you how many people were surprised to hear I was going to give birth here in England.  Sure, I could have stayed in the U. S., but we are a family and we made this decision as a family.  Both Dylan and Amelia were born in different states, so why not have this baby in a different country?  Women give birth here every day.  I know it will be different, but it will make for an interesting story for baby number 3!

As I mentioned in a previous post, the National Health care System (NHS) is free in the U.K.  Their process (pronounced with a long o), is to have midwives cover the care and delivery for pregnant women as well as the initial newborn checks for the babies.  I was told I will most likely not see a medical doctor unless there is a concern.  Although I have been under the care of a medical doctor for both other pregnancies and the majority of this pregnancy, I am open to the idea of using a midwife.  I am still planning to give birth in a hospital, but under the care of a midwife. 


Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork!  That's what we spent most of the 90 minute appointment doing.  I did expect some paperwork as a new patient, but their system is so different.  They fill out SO many forms by hand, and you end up writing the same information over and over on the various pages.  I had my medical records from my previous doctor, and you would have thought they were in another language.  First of all, they write the date as: DAY-MONTH-YEAR.  So the midwife kept confusing dates, and she thought that I had been pregnant since last February instead of reading 6-2-11 as June.  Now I love being pregnant, but that's just way too long for any woman!  Then, she had to convert my weight into STONES.  I learned that 1 stone equals 14 pounds.  So if you are 125lbs., that would be 8st 13lbs.  She kept adding pages to my file using double-sided tape.  I just thought maybe a hole puncher or 3-ring binder might be easier.  After documenting everything, she handed this huge file over to me.  She called it my "notes".  They do not keep any files there at the office, other than a few things in the computer.  It is the patient's responsibility to bring the notes to each appointment.  I feel like in the U.S., you have to get special permission and fill out at least one form to even get a copy of your medical records, almost as if they are secret information.

I have already been informed that when you have a baby at a hospital here, you have to bring EVERYTHING you will need, including supplies for yourself and the baby.  They gave me a list which includes items such as: something comfortable to wear during and after "labour" (I guess they don't use hospital gowns), sanitary towels, nappies (diapers), wipes, onesies, blankets, diaper creams, etc.  I was sure spoiled in the U.S. when we walked out of the hospital with all of the above plus more!  Maybe that is what you get with free health care.  When I asked how long I would stay at the hospital after giving birth, she laughed and said, "You'll be lucky if you are there for 6 hours."  What?  "If you give birth at the birthing centre, you might be able to stay up to 24 hours."  I am not a fan of extended stays in the hospital, but that seems like they are kicking you out the door!  My midwife will come to our house for a visit the first few days to check the baby and me.  The midwife will actually perform all of the newborn checks since they only use pediatricians for medical concerns. 

So here is the situation about where to give birth.  You have a choice between your home, a birthing centre, or a hospital.  I love the idea of being natural at home, but I wasn't sure how a 5-year old and 3-year old would react to all of that.  The birthing centre is very close to our house, but they do not give any medications there and would have to transport me to a hospital if any medical concerns arose.  Now, I had both Dylan and Amelia without any medication only because they were both so fast.  Amelia was born 19 minutes after we arrived at the hospital!  I just feel better going the hospital route this time.  There are so many "What ifs...", and it gives me peace of mind to be there at the hospital.  If this little one happens to be too fast, we can go straight to the birthing centre.  It sounds like either way, I will be back home before I know it.  Thankfully my parents will be here for 2 weeks, and we are praying the baby is born during that time!  I will certainly need their help!    

This next "bit" (another word they love to use here) of information may be too much for any male readers, but I know so many mothers or pregnant ladies who might find this interesting, or comical, or just gross.  When she asked me to leave a urine sample, she handed me a container that is similar in size to a prescription bottle you get from Walgreen's but skinnier.  Lovely.  Then, after she checked the urine, she handed it back to me, told me to dump it in the toilet, clean it out, and bring in a new sample for my next appointment!  Seriously?!  I should not be surprised with free health care and a very "green" environment here.

Anyway, the baby is doing well.  The heartbeat sounds strong, and he/she is moving around all of the time. I love watching my belly move around as I sit in bed at night.  I am measuring a little on the small side, but I am feeling quite big these days.  I am anxious to get settled into our new house this weekend because this little one will be here before we know it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment